Monday, November 1, 2010

More Change - Argh!!!!

November 1 was the day I was officially supposed to start my new assignment with my employer.  However, because of the urgent need to continue to work with my current client in Boulder, my transition into my new role has been delayed until the end of November.

Regardless of that, I had my first in-depth conversations with my new boss this morning.  To say that the conversation was slightly intimidating is a bit of an understatement.  First off the person who I now report to is 2 levels higher in the food chain than the reporting relationship I have on my project in Boulder.  Her priorities are very different and the scale of money involved in her work effort has at least three to four more zeros tacked on the end of it.  All of that scares the crap out of me!

In my new role my success will be determined by one factor – how much money I can save my employer.  My scope will be to look across all projects within my line of business and identify cost saving initiatives.  Thankfully for 2011 I only have to save enough money to justify my salary and benefits. 

The tough part of all this is that most of the projects I will be working with are overseas.  In particular one of the larger projects for which significant cost savings are desired is in Romania.  I don’t anticipate that I will have to spend continuous weeks or months there, but I do know I will have to make at least several trips there.

Having read extensively about Romania in several travel books in the last year, it will be an interesting country to visit.  There is a feel of lawlessness to the place as culturally they are still working out all the post Communism issues of society.  My biggest concern of course will be for Zack.  Since it has only been the two of us, I have only made 4 different trips away from him.  During 2 of those trips Shelly was there with him.  They did so well together and I never had a concern in the world when I traveled.  

Given that option is no longer available to me, I will have to go back to the old alternatives.  Zack will split his time between staying at home with Nancy and staying with my brother and sister-in-law.  It will be tough I am sure but Zack and I will have to make it work.  During summer months when Zack is not in school, I will see if he can travel with me.  It will depend upon where I am going and if I can find some activity to get him involved with while I am working.  

Today has been a long an busy day.  I was up at 4:00AM this morning and at the gym by 4:45AM.  After a long workout, it was home to get Zack off to school and get me to Boulder for work.  Not much to say about work other than what I have already said.  This evening should be low-key and I hope to get a little extra sleep tonight if I can.

Zack was really falling prey to his anxiety this morning.  It is a typical situation I see whenever he returns to school from a short break.  I have seen this for the last 3 years.  Each time he goes back to school after fall, winter or spring breaks he is usually full of anxiety.  We spent a lot of time talking about it as he was getting ready for school.  Hopefully we talked enough and he practiced his “anti-anxiety” exercises enough that he will be OK.

Zack had a good time Trick’r’Treating last night.  He went with Cole and a bunch of other boys from the neighborhood.  Celinde and I walked around with them to make sure everyone behaved and was safe.  It was AMAZING how much candy that boy brought home.  I am going to have to take a bunch of it to work for other people to eat as there is no way we can eat it all.

(Zack and Cole after Trick'r'Treating.)


(Zack enjoying a Butterfinger after Trick'r'Treating)

While we were doing the T’r’T thing, Nancy stayed home and handed out the candy.  Lex got a chewy and spent the evening in the basement so he was one happy dog!

I hope everyone’s week is off to a good start.

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

FYSRD

No comments: