Friday, July 17, 2009

Well - That's not what I expected!

Do you ever have one of those days that leaves you amazed and in wonderment? Today has been one of those days for me. There are several different things that happened today that have left me truly surprised by the unexpected things that occur.
The first thing that occurred is somewhat prosaic, but will have a monumental impact upon my life. I don't think that it would have a major impact on my life is surprising but I am sure some people would think I shouldn't speak of it. What is it? My employer's stock price has risen by a significant amount in the last 3 days. When the stock market took such a big hit back in the fall of 2008 and beginning of 2009 everyone across this country really suffered. Dreams and plans everywhere were shattered and destroyed. In the case of my employer our stock price fell by over 50% in a period of 2 - 3 weeks. Many of my plans were shelved if not (as I believed at the time) permanent destroyed. These last 3 days have seen a re-birth in those dreams and plans. I am not saying this to gloat or anything - it was just something totally and complete unexpected.
I am happy for the outcome of this issue and I do intend to make it so that I cannot experience a decrease in my assets again - yeah that means I am cashing out. It has had a tremendously positive impact upon my spirits but it was totally unexpected.
One of the less prosaic surprises of my day was how Zack has finally turned the corner in his fight to re-adjust to life. One of the consequences of everything that transpired between 2006 and 2008 was that Zack experienced some significant issues with depression and anxiety. For an adult to experience these issues is one thing, but for a child who is between 8 and 10 years of age to experience these things is totally and completely different. After a long struggle with these issues Zack finally turned the corner in the spring of 2009. However he was aided in his battle by a drug and lots of sessions with a psychologist. In the last 2 months I have worked with the psychologist and psychiatrist to free Zack from the need for the sessions with the psychologist and the anti-anxiety drug.
Zack has now been 100% free of the psychologist for the last 8 weeks and the anti-anxiety drug for the last week. It has been a difficult battle for me to fight through with him. But I truly believe he has won the battle. Today he has finally stopped suffering from the physical side effects from being off the drug. With that freedom from the physical side effects from the drug he has also surmounted the emotional aspects of being off the drug. He surprised me by his strength and ability to work through these issues so quickly. I am eternally proud of my son!
Lastly - an event I went to today has provided me with much food for thought. This entire thought process was not something I expected to experience that is for sure. It is a good thought process and I think it will have some major impacts upon my life.
I am still working on the blog post I mentioned on Wednesday evening. I will definitely post it by the end of the weekend.
My ideas of what to do for the weekend have changed again - don't ask why - LOL! But it now looks like we are going to be rolling out of bed in about 5.5 hours and trekking up to Georgetown and attempting the summit on Mount Bierstadt. Today after Zack was done with WCCK we went to Sports Authority and I purchased him his own Camelback. I think that is going to go a long way in dealing with his potential for altitude sickness.
Thanks and peace to all! - J.

No comments: