Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Patty Rae

As I wrote yesterday today is the one year anniversary of Patty’s death. Though many might feel that today would be an especially difficult day for us, it has not been that way. For me personally, yesterday was a much more difficult day to endure. The memories of all that happened on July 13, 2008 are much harder for me to stomach than the memories of July 14, 2008. I think by the time July 14th had rolled around there wasn’t any question as to what was going to happen. And when that day came to an end, there was a sense of relief in the fact that a long fought battle was finally at an end. So I have approached today with a sense of peace and calm. Today is a day about remembering who Patty was and what she was about. For me it has not been a day to mourn. It has been a day to remember and celebrate her beautiful life. As I have read through the number of comments that people have posted on my Facebook page, on this blog, the Caringbridge site and personal e-mails to me, it strikes me how well loved and appreciated Patty was. She was a person with a sincere and genuine kindness to her soul. She loved people and always wanted to do things that were special for everyone and anyone. Of course she most particularly loved Zack. There was nothing in this world she would not have done for him. In fact when things looked so bleak at so many points during her battle against leukemia and side effects of the bone marrow transplant – it was for Zack that she fought. I know she would have given up the battle months before had she not had Zack for whom to fight. In the end we will all leave this world. Some of us will be here longer than others but we will all leave. When we leave the only thing that is left behind is the impact that we made upon others. Patty left an indelible mark on many people and the memory of her actions, her kindness will carry on in the future for years to come. I am proud to have been in her life. I am proud to have been her husband. I am proud to have loved her. I will do my best to raise our son in the way she would have wanted. I’ll remember and love you Rae for as long as my heart beats. Thanks and peace to all! – J.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I can't believe it has been 1 year already. I remember when you posted the news to your website. I was so saddened, especially for Zach, but you know, he has done so well considering all that is happening.