Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Very Full Day

There are some days in which life doesn't seem to happen.  By that I mean the day fits the definition of the "same-old, same-old".  Today clearly wasn't one of those days.  It was an extremely busy day that offered many challenges but had some positive connotations to it also.
The first aspect of my day was the fact that it was a very early and a very long day.  A project for work that I have focused 75% of my attention to for the last 6 months came to a culmination today.  We went live with a new "service delivery center" in the town of Greenock, Scotland (a suburb of Glasgow).  This "service delivery center" will provide services to my client for the operations in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.  The team on the ground in Scotland has worked hard and long to make this day come about.  From all quantifiable measures (and even unquantifiable measures) the go-live was a success and we met all of our client's expectations.  On top of this success and other project of mine that went live on June 15th successfully closed the client's 2nd quarter business by achieving more success than ever before in the history of this company.  The bottom line is that the senior executives to whom I report view my efforts as a success.  This is great news for my career!
The second aspect of today was that for the third time in 3.5 years a member of my family under went a bone marrow biopsy at Littleton Adventist Hospital.  This time it was Nancy's turn.  (The other two being me and Patty.  My outcome was good and as you all know - Patty's was not.)  The actual procedure went so-so.  Because of Nancy's age, the trauma of the procedure was a little bit more drastic than for someone younger.  She was in pre-op, the operating room and recovery for over 5 hours today.  In the end the doctor was able to get the tissue sample that he needed.  We don't know any results at this point as it normally takes 3 - 5 days to get the results back.  With the long weekend this week, it might even take longer.
So for now we have no idea what is transpiring with Nancy that has driven her blood counts as low as they are.  Hopefully she will face a benign condition that can be rectified on it's own or with little medical intervention.  
Unfortunately, much of my day was spent in the hospital waiting for Nancy to make it through the biopsy.  I can't say that I have any great affinity to hanging out in hospitals these days.  I think I spent enough time hanging out in hospitals between August of 2006 and July of 2008 to last me for a few life times!
Hopefully Nancy will be recovered enough that Zack and I will be able to head to the mountains tomorrow.  The doctor and nurses said she needed to be watched and helped for the next day.  So we will see where she is in her recovery tomorrow afternoon.  If she is doing well enough Zack, Lex and I will hop into the Explorer and head to the Silverthorne.  If not...  well then we will just stay here.  I have made one difficult decision about the weekend.  Bailey isn't going to come us.  I am just afraid that if I take him up there he will not do well.  The last time I took him to our condo he nearly fell down an entire flight of stairs.  I don't want any harm to come to "my old man".  Though he will be gravely disappointed I feel I have to leave him at home.
It has been a long day so it is time for me to go and get some sleep.  Hope you all had a great day!
Thanks and peace to all! - J.

No comments: