Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday....

Friday has at last arrived. The week has seemed very long and very difficult. Though it hasn't really been any longer than any other week it certainly has been difficult!

To get things off to a better start for the day I was off to Bonfils to donate platelets this morning. It took 1.5 hours but my platelet count was high enough that I could donate 2 extra large units of platelets. It makes me feel good knowing that I saved at least one maybe two people’s lives today. Who knows where my blood will end up? It might end up in a cancer patient in Denver. It might be used for a person in Los Angeles who has a liver transplant or it might even find it’s way to Iraq or Afghanistan and be used in a soldier who has been critically wounded.

Zack of course attended WCCK today. They stayed at the school today and had some elaborate puppet show presentation. He seemed to enjoy it - at least that is what he said when I got him at the end of the day.

I had to take Nancy to the hematologist today. This was the same location that Patty went to before she was diagnosed with leukemia. So it wasn’t necessarily fun going in there. There are a variety of issues that could be going on with Nancy. She had more blood drawn today and then she will meet with the doctor again next week. Some of the possibilities are a lot less severe than others. Hopefully it will turn out to be one of the less severe issues. If it doesn't turn out to be one of the less severe issues we are in for a long and horrible fight again. (The situation is that both her white blood cell count and platelets are well below the normal levels. Additionally the size of her red blood cells are abnormal.) The bottom line is that Nancy is not doing real well and she needs Zack and my support to help her through the situation.

Oh well - I have to keep my chin up. We hope everyone has a great weekend!

Thanks and peace to all - J.

No comments: