Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Doing Nothing

The house is now quiet as Zack, Nancy and the dogs are asleep. I am just hanging out in my bedroom with my Mac on my lap typing away. I did something very unusual this evening - nothing! By far doing nothing is not my normal. I am normally up and about doing something almost every single second of the day. Whether it be doing my work for my employer, doing something for Zack, playing with Zack, taking care of my home, doing some kind of major project around the house - I am normally always in motion.

Doing nothing but sitting on the couch watching TV is a luxury for which I do not have time. Tonight I just had to do that. Zack and I snuggled on the couch and watched an episode of “Modern Marvels” from the History Channel that we have recorded on DVR. After that I let Zack watch some “Sponge Bob Square Pants” and I took a nap.

Sometimes I really don't know how I manage all the things for which I have responsibility. I guess you can kind of tell it though in the fact that house is often a wreck and I am frequently behind on all kinds of stuff. But regardless I usually always manage to get everything done.

Many of my friends, and even people who I just casual know have said that they are amazed that I can keep up on everything. I usually never even step back and thing about this - as I just keep going at 100 miles per hour. This evening as I lay on the couch dozing I did think a lot about this. I thought a lot of how my life has changed in the last several years. It made me wonder if it has made me a better or stronger person. I would definitely say it has made me a stronger person. Better - that is hard to say. I think I tend to see the world in some very different shades than I ever saw it before. I think I have become a lot more forgiving of people because I see the heartache and hardship that you can encounter in life.

I think in addition to being stronger I appreciate things much more. Now a simple hug from Zack gives me enough reward to power on through another difficult day. I guess in the end run I am lucky. I am very lucky for all that I have experienced in life. Now I just need to find a little bit more time to be able to do nothing more often!

I hope everyone is having a great week.

Thanks and peace to all. - J.

No comments: