Saturday, April 18, 2009

More Snow…. More Snow…. And a Recipe??

It continues to snow! This is the longest snow storm we have had all year and it has really changed a lot of my plans for the weekend. It is great we are getting the moisture but I got to admit I am a little bit tired of it now. Yesterday it was really amazing how quickly things got bad. It snowed most of the day but it really didn’t do much. Then at 20 after 2 everything changed. The sky turned white and the snow just came down and came down. I had to go and get Zack from school at 2:35PM and I barely made it through the snow. All the slush on the road had turned into ice almost instantaneously. Roads in the Willow Creek were bad. I drove to get him and I took our Explorer. Normally I can get through any kind of snow in four wheel drive high mode. I never have to put the car into four wheel drive low unless I am 4 wheeling in the mountains. Not yesterday! I put the car in four wheel drive low and I was still having a hard time. It was plain and simply nuts. The horrible thing about the snow last night was that it really ruined some plans that I had. I wasn’t particularly happy about that, but I wasn’t going to have anyone be in danger by going out on the roads – and ultimately that was the right decision. One severe downside to the snow in our house is that we loss our television. We have satellite – DirectTV and whenever we get a severe snow storm like this it goes out. It takes away a mindless thing to spend our time on when the weather sucks. But it was good – we survived the evening without TV! I ended up spending a good part of the evening on the phone instead – so it turned out to be pretty good. Though I ordered pizza in for us last night I did take some time to make a nice dessert for us. I had planned to make a cheesecake this weekend, but it was very funny as I received an e-mail from a friend on Friday. In the e-mail there was a recipe for a 5-minute chocolate cake. Being a chocolate fanatic, I had to try this instead of making the cheesecake. It turned out to be excellent! If anyone is interested here is the recipe. 5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE 4 tablespoons flour 4 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons cocoa 1 egg 3 tablespoons milk 3 tablespoons oil 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) a small splash of vanilla extract 1 large coffee mug Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night! It turned out very good and I enjoyed it. You should give it a try as it is pretty neat how quickly you can make a cake! Here are some of the latest pictures from my backyard. Thankfully my big trees are standing tough through out the snow. The little trees are getting the crap beaten out of them, but I think they will stand throughout the weather. In a little bit I will go out and try and shake as much snow off of these trees as possible.

Well – I hope everyone here in Colorado survives the snow and for those of you in other parts of the country and the world – I hope you have a nice weekend!
Thanks and peace to all!

2 comments:

Millie said...

Jerry: Snow on the trees looks beautiful, but you can keep it there, please!
That mug cake recipe is one that I have made for Bob and me. So easy and yummy!

mykidsmomx4 said...

I am so looking forward to trying that cake... I'll probably be posting it on my blog when I get it made too... just read through it again... if it is any good, you are right... it will be the most dangerous recipe ever! THANKS! lol