Saturday, April 4, 2009

Expectations

I haven't the slightest idea why I am thinking of this question tonight but I am. The question is - what do you expect out of life? I am wondering what should I really expect my life to be. Did I ever think in my wildest dreams that I would be the single parent to a 10 year-old child? Did I ever think at the age of 42 I would become a widower? Did I ever expect that I would be the head of such an unconventional household - my kid, 2 dogs and my late wife's mother? I am pretty sure that everyone would agree that my answer to those questions would be a resounding no. I never had those expectations that these kinds of things would happen in my life. I always had the fairy tale viewpoint of what life should and would be - then reality happened. My reality changed every single one of my expectations. Reality took my life into a course that never in my wildest dreams would I have expected. It forced me to make decisions I never expected. It forced me to do things that I never expected. But yet here I am. I am no longer living the fairy tale version of life, instead I am living the cold hard reality. So - what do you expect out of life? Now that I have gotten off my philsophical soapbox for the day.... I can tell you that we did horribly in the Arapahoe District Pinewood Derby. Yep - we came in last. I knew we were going to be running against tough competition so I didn't expect great things. Zack didn't mind in the slightest. He didn't even want to go today as it was a cold and blustery day and he was more interested in staying near the fireplace and "snuggying" as he put it. But since we had committed to going, we were going to be there. The rest of the day has been fairly uneventful. However the basketball game tonight was really fun and I know I certainly had a very enjoyable time! I will have a much longer post tomorrow. I have several subjects on which I have been doing some writing. Til later - thanks and peace to all!

No comments: