Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bzzzzz, Bzzzzzz, Bzzzzzz

I meant to post this entry on Friday evening, but I ended up falling asleep on the couch and I didn’t feel like getting on the Internet until now. For whatever reason I was not feeling real energetic yesterday. Nor am I today - so I will see if I write another entry for today or not. Before I even start tonight’s blog entry, I must first say “please excuse any excessive amounts of typos or missed words”. I gave platelets and plasma today and I have had my obligatory cocktail or two. The evening after giving blood I always have a couple of beers, glasses of wine or cocktails as I start feeling very good very fast. I usually laugh pretty heartily when I am done with my donation and the techs at Bonfils tell me to refrain from having alcohol for the rest of the day. Hahaha…. They know me well enough at the Highlands Ranch donation center that can pretty well predict what I am going to say in response to that. “Isn’t that the point of giving blood, so you can feel really happy without drinking much alcohol.” I do have to say that I am proud of my brother Tim. For the last several years I have been prodding him to go and give blood with me. Today he finally gave in to my continuous annoying whining. He went with me and gave a unit of whole blood. He wasn’t really sure of how it was going to go and he probably felt a little nervous, but he handled it like a champ and did it. So – yes I am proud of him. As I always say – every time you give blood you save someone’s life. He saved someone’s life today! The big excitement for us today was the removal of the bee hive from our home. I have worked for the last several months to try and find someone to come in and remove it. After numerous phone calls without much success, I finally found a guy from Golden who does this kind of work. He comes in and assesses the situation, determines the best way to get the bees out, removes the bees without killing them and then does whatever repairs are needed to your house. Here are a couple of pictures of the bees and hive being removed. I think they are pretty cool!

(All those little black spots on the photo are the bees trying to sting the hell out of Shane.)

It was really amazing to watch him work. He suits up in his beekeepers suit and he just goes right to it. The bees were totally and completely swarming around him yet he didn’t even seem to notice. He has some amazing stories to tell that is for sure! This morning when he showed up his left eye was all red and swollen. He said he had been stung on his eye ball yesterday! That just sounds so absolutely horrible. For the most part he says that he is used to the stings and they don’t bother him that much. The guy who did the work is named Shane Rodgers and if any one who reads this blog and lives in the Denver area ever needs bees removed, he is the guy to do it! He runs his own company called Through the Fog LLC. Shane estimated that the hive had been in place for about a year and that there were 30,000+ bees in it. Besides the 30,000+ bees he also took out about 15 pounds or so honeycomb. It is amazing what the bees build and produce! The rest of our day has been nondescript. Zack had school and I had work. During school today Zack went on a field trip today to the Colorado History Museum. From what he said he had a good time and learned a lot. This evening we haven’t done much. I a couple of good conversations with friends over the phone and that is about it. So all-in-all it was a good evening. We hope everyone has a great weekend. Thanks and peace to all! – J.

No comments: