Monday, May 11, 2009

The Art of Dancing in the Desert – Or Why Some People Will Think I am a Moron

The title of today’s post does have a meaning. Anyone who reads books about dogs might recognize it as a rip off the book call “The Art of Racing in the Rain”. I just got this book from the library today but because of the subject matter I thought it was apropos title for today’s post. The inside jacket of the “Art of Racing in the Rain” describes the book in this manner. “Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master , Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.” “On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through: the sacrifices Denny has made to succeed professionally; the unexpected loss of Eve, Denny’s wife; the three year battle over Zoe, whose maternal grandparents pulled every string to gain custody. In the end despite what he sees as his own limitations, Enzo come through heroically to preserve the Swift family, holding in his heart the dream that Denny will become a racing champion with Zoe at his side. Having learned what it takes to be a compassionate and successful person, the wise canine can barely wait until his next lifetime, when he is sure to return as a man.” So why would I rip this topic off – because I am just spending a lot of time thinking of my precious Bailey. I know I have written about him several times before, but given how close we are getting to his 13th birthday, I am realizing how I have been blessed to have this wonderful soul in my life. Though Bailey can’t talk the way that Enzo can in the book he is still a font of wisdom and knowledge. As you look upon his countenance you can see the wisdom and experience in his eyes and his demeanor. You can see the wisdom in the way that he carries himself. It is hard to believe that Bailey has been part of my life for so long. Though he was born on May 15, 1996 – he came to be in our home on July 12, 1996 when he was 8 weeks old. So he has been part of my immediate family longer than any living person. He has been a joy to have and a constant companion. There is so much more I could say – but I have already said it so many times. I love my Bailey! Now – why would people think that I am a moron? Well – I decided that I am going to have a little party for Bailey on Friday – his birthday. So I found a pet store – Pet Outfitters at the corner of Holly and Orchard that sells birthday cakes for dogs. Yes – you got it – I ordered a birthday cake for Bay. With any luck I’ll be able to have some of his puppy friends over to celebrate on Friday. I know Bailey has no conception that it is his birthday – but I just want him to be as happy as a puppy can be because he has earned it. Thirteen years old – it is a remarkably age for a dog his size! Keep in mind that is 91 years in dog years! Our day has been busy as usual. There was lots of work for me to do. This week Zack is going to Sylvan on Tuesday and Wednesday so he went to WCCK today after school. I got the opportunity to go and meet a friend for a coffee break this afternoon at Starbucks. It was really good to get out of the house. Sometimes working from home can be so isolating! This evening Zack and I managed to get Nancy to go out to dinner with us at the local TGI Fridays. That was good as it has been a long time since I managed to convince her to go out with us. Late this evening I spent a bunch of time working in the back yard putting down top soil and grass seed. I have a fair number of dead spots in the yard because the watering was patchy last year. So I am taking advantage of this cool and wet weather to try and get the yard back in shape. We hope everyone’s week is off to a good start. Thanks and peace to all! – J.

No comments: