Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Garbage We Create

This entire week I have been working out of my company's office in Boulder as opposed to home. I don't have a fixed place to sit at the Boulder office, so I typically sit in a "mobility center". The mobility center is place equipped with desks, phones, ethernet connections, etc. The mobility center I have sat in is small and only has 12 desks in it. For most of the week I have had this mobility center to myself. There have been one or two other people in here at various times but pretty much I have been alone. (I really haven't spent that much time in here as I have been in meeting almost the entire week in various conference rooms scattered throughout the campus.) Today as I was cleaning up my desk I took my trash and threw it into the trash can in the room. I figured that almost everything in the trash can was mine. The trash can was about 1/5 of the way full. How pathetic is that? I am very good about recycling everything I can, but still I generated a fair amount of trash during this week. Most of it was food containers from the cafeteria. I got soup everyday for lunch this week so I didn't have those gigantic styrofoam meal containers - just a reinforced paper container, a cup for a soda and my plastic spoon. Regardless the amount of trash I generated was disturbing! There are many things that could be said about it. But I need to do even better because I don't like being a "trashy person" - LOL!

No comments: