Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday Evening Thoughts

It's been a little over a week since I last added a post to the blog.  It's not that I don't have a lot of things to write about, it has been more that I just haven't had the urge to write.  Through out each day there are many ideas which spark thoughts of potential blog entries, but I haven't had the desire to actual spend the time writing.

One reason for this lack of desire could be that life has just kept me so freaking busy of late.  Now that Zack has gone back to school, it seems that hardly a day passes without me running to and fro getting him to school or from school for some event or other.  He is participating in two after school activities this quarter - Track and Math League.  Most days he can take the "late" bus home after his activity, but if he has a track met or is done before the late bus runs I will come to school and pick him.

Even more so that Zack's activities, I believe my work schedule is heavily influencing me.  Never in my life have a been a morning person.  The idea time for me to go to bed each day is sometime between midnight and 2AM.  This means the ideal time for me to get up is normally around 8AM.  Due to the demands of my work schedule, I am now normally up and about between 5 and 5:30AM.  This leaves me desperate for sleep.  As soon as I am done working in the afternoon, I normally take a 2 hour nap.  When I don't nap, I find myself so tired that my desire to do much of anything is greatly diminished. 

The sad thing is that I really want to write.  My interest in the work that I am doing on a day-to-day basis for my employer is pretty low.  The position that I am in now has some very high visibility and offers me the ability to get promoted to the next pay grade - it's called a Band D executive.  However - I do feel excited to get out of bed in the morning and tackle my work.  Instead I would really like to start thinking and planning for what my next career is going to be.  But I feel tied to my current employer and position because of the financial rewards that it brings me.  Ultimately that financial reward doesn't seem to be enough to bring a lot of excitement or joy.  So I fully my day-to-day job functions because it is expected of me and because I do not want to disappoint those above me who have put so much trust in me.  No matter what I will continue to execute my job function with the highest level of professionalism and determination, but it doesn't mean that I am excited about it.

I guess the bottom line is that I must find the time to write and do the things that interest me from a career perspective.  And that means I need to find the time write and achieve the goals in that area that I desire.

That is enough said about that whole subject.  I am sure I am like so many other people who do what they have to do to bring home a paycheck but would much rather spend their time doing something else!

The weekend has been pretty good!  Friday night we hit a new pizza place in the Southlands Shopping Mall called "Top That Pizza".  It is kind of like the Subway sandwich shop of pizza.  You go in, pick the type of crust you want, select the type of sauce and then your toppings.  They pizza is then baked and presented back to you in about 3 minutes.  It was awesome!  We'll definitely be making a return trip there.

Saturday was all about work around the house.  I've done everything I can to get the kitchen back in shape so I spent all day Saturday working on my closet.  I have numerous bags of clothes to give away and I have gotten everything well organized.  There is still a little bit of work to do, but for the most part it's in great shape.  Saturday night was all about fun as Lisa and I went to the Adam's Mystery Playhouse in Denver.  It was a great show!  We laughed our asses off and really enjoyed the evening.  For anyone interested, I did a big write up on it on Facebook for "365 Things To Do In and Around Denver".  I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a fun night out in Denver.

Today was about football and food.  I love cooking in the new kitchen, so I made a big vat of pulled pork BBQ and had my brother and his family over for dinner.  It was a nice, calm relaxing day!  Watching football on the flat screen TV mounted in the family room while cooking is fantastic.

That's about it for the day.  In the coming days I will be working much harder to write.  It's something that I want to do, I just need to find the time to make it happen.

Have a great week ahead!

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.


No comments: