Wednesday, September 26, 2012

New comet might blaze brighter than the full Moon

Wow just saw this and thought it was amazing - so I had to write about it and post it!  The gist of this entire article is that a new comet has recently been discovered that is going to pass Earth in 2013.  The comet is anticipated to be so bright that it will outshine moon!

 (Photo of Comet Hale-Bopp passing through the twilight sky.)

For those of us older than say 25 or so, you might remember the passage of the comet Hale-Bopp in 1997.  I so distinctly remember that comet lighting up the winter sky and I thought it was possibly the only time in my life I might see such an event as that.  However it is looking like that may not be true.  Quoting from the article "Even if C/2012 S1 (the newly discovered comet) takes on the same light curve as Kohoutek (a comet that passed the earth in the 1970's which was a viewing disappointment) it is certain to be spectacular, quite possibly a once-in-a-civilisation's-lifetime event."

I am just so thrilled to read this article and I fully anticipate spending as much time outside observing the night time sky during the comet's passage.

Anyway - It was so interesting I just felt I needed to share!


1 comment:

Johanna said...

Cool!! Remind us again when it's supposed to happen :)