Thursday, February 14, 2013

Onward to India Again

It's that time again.  Time for me to make another trip to India.  It's going to be another whirlwind trip to the subcontinent for me.

I'll depart Denver on February 22nd and be back in Denver the morning of March 2.  Elapsed time of this trip is about 7 hours short of 8 days.  Not too bad all-in-all I guess, though with the short amount of time I will spend in India, combined with the length of time it will take me to get there - I am will return to the US one exhausted person.

My itinerary will be different than my last trip.  During my travel in August I flew in and out of Dehli.  This time my travel will have me arriving in India at Pune.  This will be the first time I will fly an international flight into Pune and I am frankly surprised that it's airport is capable of handling international flights.  Let's just say that the Pune Airport isn't very big!  As a matter of fact I think the Centennial Airport - the small regional airport about 2 miles away from my home is bigger than the Pune Airport.  The landing infrastructure consists of exactly one run way!

Leaving Denver next Friday afternoon, I'll first fly to Frankfurt on a Lufthansa 747.  It's not going to be a pleasant trip as I am in the back of the airplane - row 59.  And I am in a middle seat to boot!

Arriving in Frankfurt at 8:40AM, I'll get to spend 7 hours hanging out there before my flight departs for Pune.  The unusual thing about this flight is that it is 8 hours long and it is on a 737!  I can't say I have ever flown for that long of a time or that far on a 737.  I am sure it will be an interesting experience.  It might be necessary for me to drink heavily on that flight to avoid going crazy.

I will finally reach Pune at 3:30AM on Sunday - India Time.  That means I will spend almost 24 hours in transit.  Getting to my hotel room on Sunday morning is going to be a joyous occasion for me.  Thankfully I'll have a full day to recover before I need to be in the office on Monday.

The trip to Pune will only involve Monday and Tuesday of the week and then I will be off to Dehli on Tuesday evening.  I'll spend the rest of the work week in Delhi before flying home very late in the day on Friday, March 1.  With another 22+ hours of travel time I will arrive back in Denver around 9:00AM on Saturday morning, March 2.  Needless to say by the end of this trip my body and mind will be exhausted.

Making all the arrangements for my travel is the easy part of a trip like this.  The more difficult part of the trip is getting every thing set for Zack while I am gone.  This takes a lot of coordination and effort to put everything together.  Thankfully Tim and Celinde and Nancy are close by and can manage getting him where he needs to be.  Additionally, Lisa has volunteered to help out, so that I feel that there is a pretty good support system in place for him while I am gone. 

It's hard to believe but the time will be coming in a little over a year that I will be able to leave Zack on his own while I go on business trips.  Perhaps it will be pushing the envelope a bit, but I figure once he turns 16 he will pretty much be able to handle most things that come up.  However, I will wait and see how mature he is at that point.

There will be some more tales coming of my time in India I am sure.  Due to the short duration of my trip I do not expect that I am going to be doing any kind of fun activity while I am there.  This will be another one of those see the inside of my hotel room and the office and that is about it.  Not sure when I will be returning to India after this trip, however I have been invited to attend a wedding there at the end of April.  If my work schedule happens to coincide with the wedding I will try and attend. 

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

No comments: