Thursday, May 26, 2011

To The Badlands

Every once in awhile you have one of those days in which you feel like finding the hardest wall you can possibly find and banging your head against it until you are unconscious.  Yeah - I had one of those days today.  Lots and lots of things were going on today that made for just a crappy day.  To top it off, Zack was in rare form this evening and I don't mean that in a good way.  He started on a new medication on Monday which is supposed to help him with anxiety and lack of focus and I think it is actually making things much worse.  I will definitely be talking to his psychiatrist about this in his next appointment. 

My evening is much better now as Zack is upstairs getting ready for bed and I am sitting at my computer with a glass of wine by my side, some classical music on the radio and a puppy named Finnegan at my feet.  Finnegan always seems to make things just right.  He has such a calming influence and is such a mellow dog.  Well - I take that back a little bit.  When he starts to bark, he just doesn't want to stop.  Lex will at least stop, but Finnegan - there is no stopping him once he starts to bark.

Tomorrow begins our adventures for the summer!  As soon as Zack is home from school we are getting in the car and heading to South Dakota.  We will be spending the Memorial Day weekend in Rapid City visiting Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands.  I have never been to South Dakota so this will be a big adventure for both of us.  Though we are driving separate cars, we will be meeting up in South Dakota with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew and another couple and their kids.  So we will have plenty of company. 


This is the first of many plans that I have for us this summer.  We will visit just about every corner of Colorado this summer and many places far beyond.  Though I think it will be just Zack and me for our trips, I am really looking forward to them.  He is big enough now that he can sit in the front seat of our car.  So as the miles of road unfold beneath us we will be together watching the landscape roll by and experiencing all of it together!

Besides road trips I have some pretty aggressive camping plans for us.  Many of those plans might be put on hold due to the amount of snow in the high country.  Given the snow fall we have had this winter one of the prime areas I hope to hike into which is deep in the Gore Range may not be reachable until mid-August.  We'll just have to wait and see how quickly the snow melts and if we get anymore snow fall in the high country. 

I hope that everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend ahead.  Be safe in all that you do!

Zack also posted a new update to his blog.  I haven't read it yet so I have idea what it says.  But here is the link to his site: http://scienceblogs2.weebly.com/


Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

FYSRD

No comments: