Tuesday, January 25, 2011

53 Days To Go....

In 53 days I will run the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab, Utah.  To say that I am looking forward to this race is truly an understatement.  I can't wait to get to Moab and take part in this race!  Because I am so nuts for it, I will leave Denver on the afternoon of March 17th.  (Yes - I am going to miss St. Patrick's day celebrations at Irish Rover Pub in Denver - oh well - there is always next year.)  The plan is to pull Zack out of school a bit early and get on the road towards Moab by 2 or 2:30PM on that day.  The drive to Moab takes about 6 hours and I would like to get there before it gets too late in the day.

Friday March 18th is going to be occupied going to the Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.  When Zack and I last traveled to Moab in the fall of 2007, Zack was too scared to climb up to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park.  Given that was 3.5 years ago, I think he will be able to handle the climb this time and I will finally get to see the arch close up.  My hope is that we can be in the park either during sunrise or sunset so that we see the arch highlighted by the beauty of the rising or setting sun.

(Delicate Arch in Arches National Park - Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia)

The race takes place on Saturday morning March 19th.  My plan is rise very early that morning so I can actually eat something before the race.  If I eat right before I run, it does not leave me feeling good as all the blood rushes to my stomach and I feel like crap for the first several miles of my run.

I plan to use my UGo helmet cam for the run.  I won't be wearing a helmet of course, but I have an accessory that allows me to strap the camera to my chest.  I think it will be interesting to record the run and see how it looks after the fact.  On top of that I do plan to run with either my iPhone or iPod so that I have some tunes to accompany me.  The playlist is yet to be determined, but it will be music that is loud, bold and will keep me pumped up for the entire 13 mile run.  There will probably be a lot of Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, U2, Coldplay, Midnight Oil, Moby, Paul Oakenfold and New Order in the playlist that I create for the run.  All of these are artists who create very loud music with intense beats.

My fundraising for the run has gone pretty well so far.  To date I have raised almost $2500.  This is only a third of my overall goal but it is well above the minimum amount I need to qualify.  I hope in the next 7 weeks I can raise at least another $2500.

If you would like to contribute to my efforts to raise money to fight leukemia and blood cancers, please see below.  I really do appreciate all contributions!!

*********************************************************************************
Please consider supporting my effort to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through participation in their Team-in-Training program.  I am training to run in the Canyonlands Half Marathon on March 19, 2011.  You can support my effort by pledging contributions to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society on my Team-in-Training web page at: 
http://pages.teamintraining.org/rm/canyonld11/jkromer_LTN

All contributions are tax deductible.  THANK YOU!!!!!!
*********************************************************************************

I hope everyone has a great day and is having a great week so far.  Less than 2 week until the Super Bowl with the Pittsburgh Steelers playing in it once again - GO STEELERS!!!

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

FYSRD!!

No comments: