Sunday, November 11, 2012

Four Years of Blogging

When I started this blog, I didn't realize that I was starting it on Veteran's Day!  So before anything else - a profound Thank You to veterans on this day and every day.  Your service has kept us free and has allowed us to prosper.  Thank you to everyone who has served!

Four years ago today, I started this blog as a way to continue the writing and communicating I had done during the difficult time from May 8, 2007 to July 14, 2008.  During those times all the writing that I did was on Patty's Caringbridge site and it was exclusively focused on writing about her situation and how we were all surviving it.  I kept writing on Caringbridge in the days, weeks and months after Patty's death but I realized I wanted to draw a separation from that time.  And so on November 11, 2008 I started this blog on Blogger.  Back then Blogger was an independent entity.  Some time over the last 4 years it was purchased lock stock and barrel and integrated into the Goggle empire.

When I started this blog I really had no idea what it was to become.  The thought that 4 years would pass and I would still be writing it wasn't even something that I considered.  Yet here I am still plugging away at this thing.  To-date I have written almost 600 blog entries and received just shy of 90,000 page views.  I have written exactly 603 blog entries of which I have published 582 - the other 21 have never been published and are private entries that only I can see.  I don't anticipate ever publishing them.  All-in-all I don't think the numbers (entries and page views) are too bad but then again they aren't necessarily too great.  But it's really about the writing not the page views.

Now that I have been at it for so long I guess I am just going to keep it up.  Hopefully in another 4 years I will be writing to celebrate my 8 year anniversary of authoring this blog.  Though my subjects have varied tremendously over the years there has always been one central point - I write what I feel passionate about.  For me to write a good blog entry there has to be some strong thought in my mind that I need to get out.  I'll always try and keep that passion flowing.  When I cease to have that passion about what I write, then I will need to take a break from this.

On the 5 year anniversary of this blog I will be publishing all of my writing into a book.  Over the last several years there have been a number of services that have sprung up that will take your blog and turn it into a printed book.  I anticipate doing that in November of 2013.  No - I will not be selling it, the book will strictly be for me and Zack.  In advance of that date, I am beginning an effort to go back and edit all of the blog entries I have written.  My editing will focus strictly on grammatical errors.  There will be no revision of history.  Whatever I originally wrote back then will be what I publish into the book. 

Thanks to everyone who has continued to read along.  I know there are a bunch of people who have been reading my writing from that first entry on Caringbridge on May 8, 2007.  I no longer have a clear memory of writing that entry but I remember the day very clearly.  That wasn't a great day.  I also remember the day I founded this blog - and it was a tab bit more joy that is for sure!

For anyone interested here is a link to that first blog entry I wrote back on November 11, 2008.  http://adadandhisboy.blogspot.com/2008/11/starting-point.html

Please continue to read along.  Hopefully my writing will improve and it will keep you interested and involved.  Today as I mark this anniversary I have 115 followers.  It will be interesting to see where I am in another four years.

Thanks so much for reading and being my audience.  Without you all this won't be fun, it won't be interesting and it won't be worth the effort.  Thank you so much for being part of my life.

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

2 comments:

Elasti-Girl said...

While I don't comment often, I do try and read when I can, keep it up.

Elasti-Girl said...

While I don't comment often, I do read when I can. I enjoy your blog, keep it up. :)