Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Life Underground

It's official.  We have now moved underground.  No we aren't on the run from the authorities or anything like that - lol!  Instead, the main floor of the house is now non-livable.  I suppose we could still be using that level of the house but the contents of the kitchen and family room have been dispersed thoughout the other 3 room - the living room, the dining room and Nancy's old bedroom.  If you have ever watched the show "Hoarders" on TLC or Discovery Health or whatever the channel is, the first floor kind of has that hoarder's feeling about it.  To get from point A to point B you have to follow specific paths to get there. 

To make up for the loss of all the prime living space we have moved into the basement.  We still sleep in our bedrooms on the top floor, but most of the time we are not sleeping is going to be spent in the basement.  The setup down here is pretty good as we have a lot of space.  There is a giant family room into which we put one of the couches from the 1st floor family room.  I had the big flat screen TV from the 1st floor family room moved down and connected to DirectTV.  I have two built in cable hook ups here in the basement so the technicians from DirectTV only had to relocate the DirectTV receiver and hook it up.  No ugly holes or long strings of coax cable were required to hook it up.  It all looks pretty good and the space is wonderfully comfortable.  It doesn't feel like we are living in a basement as the basement is a walk out so we get tons of light.  It couldn't make for a more comfortable set up while we go through the construction.

Today is one week since I had surgery on my back.  The back/nerve pain is for the most part one hundred percent gone.  There was a little bit of pain into my left leg yesterday, but it was transitory and wasn't that painful.  The incision however is being a little bit troublesome.  After 3 days you are supposed to take off the dressing and let the wound be exposed to the air.  Unfortunately the incision has continued to ooze some fluid and blood.  From what I can see of it, there aren't any huge signs of an infection.  Additionally, I had my sister-in-law check it out last evening and she didn't see any signs of infection.  However she strongly recommended that I got in to see the surgeon and get it checked out.  I call the surgeon's office this afternoon and left a message with the surgeon's medical assistant.  She called me back within a very short amount of time and told me that I needed to come into the office early tomorrow morning.  The only reason she didn't have me come in this afternoon is because Wednesdays are surgery days so the surgeon and all his staff are out of the office.  I am hoping there isn't anything seriously wrong with the incision as I really don't want to have a surgical infection as they can be very bad.  Hopefully they just put me on some antibiotics and stitch the area that is still oozing and everything will be fine.

Since everything has been emptied out of the kitchen and family room there is a great opportunity for me to really clean things up and get rid of a ton of stuff.  I anticipate that I am going to be getting rid of a lot of things as I intend to upgrade most of my cookware, flatware and kitchen gadgets.  The cookware I have is a good ole American standard - RevereWare copper bottomed pots and pans.  For the most part all of it is in good shape.  However since I am getting a gas stove, I figure I might as well upgrade the cookware to be a little bit higher grade.  Yep - I will probably pay some cash for all the new stuff, however I intend to be kicking my cooking up a notch when the kitchen is complete - so it will be worth it.

It seems like I had a million things I wanted to write about today but as I have sat down to write I have forgotten a bunch of them.  I do so much hate when that happens!!

One last point for today's blog and then I guess I will call it quits since I can't remember anything else I wanted to write.  Sometime during the weekend of May 18th I will be underneath the tattoo artist's hand again.  I'll make an official appointment this time and if anyone wants to come and watch this dumb ass - (i.e. me) get another tattoo you are more than welcome.  My plan is to stop by Celebrity Tattoo sometime this weekend and spend a few minutes talking to the guy who did the owl on my arm.  I am going to ask him to do a special tribal design for my left arm.  I really looking forward to getting this second tattoo as I am purely doing it for myself and I think it's going to look great.  So the more the merrier when it comes to getting a tattoo.  And if anyone is interested in getting a tattoo I am sure we could get a really good discount on your tattoo. 

Last point and it is then time to run.  I found the absolute perfect profile picture for my facebook page yesterday.  It really reflects the true me.


I just love that picture!!!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far.

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.



No comments: