Saturday, October 29, 2011

Falling Leaves

The kitchen table of my home provides an excellent view towards that southwest.  Throughout the summer not much can be seen of this view as it is entirely hidden by the leaves of several tall cottonwood trees that monopolize the sky.  As summer turns to fall and the temperatures drop and the days grow longer, this impenetrable wall of green begins a slow but steady fade to yellow.  Once the first snowstorm of the season arrives the leaves begin to shed from the trees like dust in the wind.  With each gust of wind, more and more leaves tumble from the branches and fall softly and slowly to the ground. 

I have sat here at computer for much of the afternoon watching the leaves fall.  The weather has turned gray, overcast, chilly and windswept.  The combination of the clouds, wind and falling leaves have made for a beautiful display of nature's grandeur.  Even in my yard and the yards of my neighbors it is wonderful to see the natural processes at work and to know that no matter how urbanized or sub urbanized a piece of land becomes, nature can still play a part in creating a daily show of beauty and wonder!



The beauty of the falling leaves brings back many memories of childhood in Western Pennsylvania.  Memories of romps through the forest with it's leaf covered floor.  Memories of assembling giant piles of leaves in the gutter of our road and then running full-force and jumping into them.  Even the memories from when I was a teenager and I used to make a good portion of my spending money in the fall by raking and burning the leaves of my elderly neighbors.  All these are wonderful memories that bring warmth to my heart and remind me of carefree days filled with fun and joy.

In many ways I wish Zack could experience some of those activities and make some of those memories.  But in the world in which we live today those kinds of things don't happen in the suburbs too much.  At least I can write a little bit about it and then explain to Zack how I lived as a kid. 

Tonight will be a big night of Halloween parties and craziness.  I hope everyone has a good time but remains safe and happy!

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

4 comments:

Elasti-Girl said...

Beautiful! Even the leaves have fallen (in your first picture) in a splendidly artful way. What a treasure to have that right outside of your window! I am a Southern Californian transplanted to the East Coast, and my eyes have been dazzled by every Autumn we've enjoyed here. :)

Mjs said...

Hey Jerry - you can make it happen a little for Zack after seeing your backyard and all the leaves. Maybe not as awesome when you were frolicking in the woods & leaves back in good old Western Pa., but better than nothing. Also a good lesson for Zack in earning some allowance money. Why pay for a lawn service to clean them up when you have a healthy teen???? We just finished raking many, many maple tree leaves, plus the neighbor's oak trees....Good exercise and nothing better than fresh air for the lungs....

Rilly said...

Hi Jerry, in case you don't see the answer to your comment on my blog about Wordless Wednesday, I just want you to know that I found it in many blogs I check out and follow, along with Friday Confessional, We Want to Know Wednesday, Mish-mash Monday, Tough S**t Tuesday and many others. I think bloggers kinda' change it to fit them. Don't give me credit for it, just them and have fun with them. Happy Halloween!

bette said...

Just stumbled across your blog. Was looking up the "Palmer Divide" and found your entry from Jan 2009. . . and I kept looking. Small world. My dog turns 1 on Friday. A couple summers back I drove across the country and visited Deadwood, Devil's Mountain, Yellowstone, and Mt. Rushmore, etc. The year before that I broke my foot learning to surf in Kauai - it's arguable whether or not I really learned! No surgery required, and I am sure you are in misery compared to my situation w/ a walking boot, but I do feel your pain. Ahh, the days of raking leaves as a kid. I use to get the worst blisters!! But there is nothing more beautiful than the fall palette of colors in a crisp autumn sky! As a parent today, it is important to occasionally slow our kids down to observe these little things that will become big memories in the future. I enjoyed my visit! Take care. . .