Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Move Along - The All American Rejects

At various times in your life you find a song that you adopt as your personal theme song.  I have had more than my share of songs like that.  It goes well with my view that life is always better with soundtrack.  For much of my high school years I had "theme songs" from the big hair and new wave bands of the 1980's.  Songs like Bill Idol's "Dancing with Myself", Icehouse's "Whisper to a Scream" and Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper".  During college my theme songs were inevitably songs from the band New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen or Public Image Limited.  As I started to get older and into my late 20's and early 30's I adopted a much harder type of music and I started to take songs by Nine Inch Nails, Meat Beat Manifesto and other hardcore bands as my "theme songs".

In recent years it has been a whole variety of songs from artists like the Dave Matthews Band, Midnight Oil, Moby, Coldplay, U2 and many others that have been the songs of the day.  About 2 months ago during a team-in-training run a bunch of us were talking about the songs that we listened to while we ran.  From that discussion I picked up what I am calling my current theme song - "Move Along" by The All American Rejects.

The lyrics of the song speak to me and on top of that the melody and upbeat tempo of the song keep me moving.  I thought to write of this as my blog entry for the day because I got into a discussion via Facebook status posts about this song with a childhood friend.

If you watch the embedded video below you will get to hear the song.  When you listen to words you will probably understand why I like it.  The best phrase is this...  "And even when your hope is gone, move along, move along just to make it through - move along".  It speaks to the what seems to be the whole point of my life right now - (Quoting Winston Churchill for this one) - "If you are going through hell, keep going".

Anyway - here is my current favorite song and theme song.  (And yes this will be on my MP3 player when I am running the Canyonland's Half Marathon in less than 3 weeks.)



Anyway - that's about it for the day.  I had parent teacher conferences with Zack this evening.  It was kind of funny as he had to lead the conference.  We walked away from the conference with a lot of things that he really needs to work upon.

Zack has it lucky as he gets the next 2 days off from school.  How nice is that?  He just had another 4 day weekend 2 weeks ago.  Kids in Cherry Creek Schools sure are lucky in that respect.

I hope everyone is having a great week.

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

FYSRD!

No comments: