Monday, February 7, 2011

It's Just a Game....

*********************************************************************************
Please consider supporting my effort to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through participation in their Team-in-Training program.  I am training to run in the Canyonlands Half Marathon on March 19, 2011.  You can support my effort by pledging contributions to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society on my Team-in-Training web page at: 
http://pages.teamintraining.org/rm/canyonld11/jkromer_LTN
 
Race day is only 40 days away!  I would like to gather $5000 in donations by that date.  Please consider helping!!

All contributions are tax deductible.  THANK YOU!!!!!!
*********************************************************************************
It's Monday and the day after the Superbowl.  Throughout America the followers of one team are celebrating while the followers of the other team are weeping.  I supposed I should classify myself in that second category this year.  As a Pittsburgh native we have gotten way too accustomed to being in that first category, but sometimes things must even out and we have to be on the losing side.

Despite that I think as a Pittsburgh Steeler Fan we still have a lot to celebrate.  Though we didn't win this Superbowl, we still have won more than any other team in the National Football League.  Secondly, there is a darn good chance our team will have the strength and determination to be back there next year.  Lastly, it is time to face the fact - it is only a game.

Yeah - I know, I no longer live in Pittsburgh but I am dedicated to the football team enough that every year I spend something like $300 getting the NFL Sunday Ticket on DirectTV.  So that would tend to make me seem to be one of those rabid "Stiller" fans who would mourn the loss very hard.  But...  it's just a game.  No different than football games that are played in countless high school football stadiums every fall around our entire country.


It is really fun to watch and feel good when your team wins, but is it really important?  Does it make the difference whether somebody lives or dies?  Nay - it's just a game!  So for the fans of the Green Bay Packer's celebrate your day today, but then tomorrow you'll wake up and the snow will still be on the ground, the kids will still have to go to school, you'll still have to go to work, the dogs will still need to be walked and feed everyday, and then we will all remember - it is just a game.

Anyway - if you rooted for the Green Bay Packers - congratulations!

The weekend for us was really good!   We didn't do anything of any serious consequence at all.  On Friday night I went to the Nuggets game without Zack as it was a really late game.  Tip off was at 8:30PM because of TV rights.  (It was the second game in a double header on ESPN.)

Saturday morning brought my return to the Team-in-Training group running.  I had missed the previous week's Saturday morning run because I had the flu.  Saturday's run wasn't particular hard as we were only doing about 5 miles.  It was a step back day from the extremely long runs we had been doing in previous weeks.  I made the run a little bit harder for myself by maintaining a relatively fast pace throughout.  I did about 10:30 per mile - so it was a good workout for me.  It is now less than 3 weeks til the race and I am getting more and more excited about it!  I am really looking forward to doing the distance and it is making me think about doing more competitive running again.  (By that I mean running 5Ks, 10Ks and half-marathons. Not that I am planning to win any of them!)

Now it is time for another work week.  It should be an interesting week as things really need to start moving with my new position.  So...  Hopefully it will be a very good and productive week.

I hope everyone has a great week a head!

Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

FYSRD!

No comments: