Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Visit While on My Business Trip

Several weeks ago when I knew I was going to be coming to Raleigh I called my brother Paul in Charlotte and let him know I was coming. Originally I was going to travel through Charlotte and see my brother and his family then. As things moved along it became apparent that wasn't going to work. The key reason was due to the cost of the airfare and the amount of time it would have taken me to drive from Charlotte to Raleigh. I ended up flying into Raleigh and made a plan with my brother to meet for dinner half way between Raleigh and Charlotte on Tuesday evening. I was concerned that my work schedule was going to be a bit nuts and I would have to forego my trip to meet Paul. As a result I worked my proverbial ass off to get everything done on Monday that I possibly could. I handled conference calls, e-mails and every report that I could get done that was due on Tuesday so that my workload would be reasonable. Somehow I managed to pull it all off and was able to walk out of the office shortly after 4:00PM EDT. We had tentatively agreed to meet somewhere around Greensboro, North Carolina. Greensboro is about 90 miles to the Southeast of Raleigh. Thankfully there was no major amounts of traffic and I was able to get on the road and moving very quickly. We finally met up in a little town called Thomasville - I think it is where they make the Thomasville furniture. There aren't too many places to eat in Thomasville other than the normal fast food places. There was one sit down restaurant - a Ruby Tuesday's. So we decided upon that. We had a nice conversation over dinner. It had been close to a year and half since I had seen Paul so the opportunity to see each other was great and was really appreciated. I am hoping that in this coming year I can get more time with my family. As we get older the occasions we have to get together seem to get fewer and fewer. So any chance to see one of my brothers or sisters is a good thing. I hope everyone is having a great week! Thanks and peace to all! ~J.

No comments: