Friday, May 15, 2009

A Dog’s B-Day Party and More Dental Fun!

It was finally Bailey’s 13th B-day! I think I was looking forward to this day more than anyone else. I haven’t the slightest idea why I was so excited for this day, but I was. I guess I just wanted to be able to celebrate a significant milestone in my puppy’s life. Next to my first dog Tara, Bailey is now officially the longest lived dog that I have ever had. Most importantly to me, I think he still has several good years left in him. My day started with a lot of fun. I had my re-root canal at 7:45AM this morning. Friday morning is the only morning of the week in which I don’t have a very early morning (6:30AM or 7:00AM) conference call. So the fact that I had to get up early this morning so that I could get Zack ready for school and then drop him off at Tim and Celinde’s before I went to the endodist was not a happy event for me. We were up well before 6:45AM getting ready. I dropped Zack off at 7:25AM and then was on the road to Broadway and Mineral Aves to the endodist. As soon as I arrived at the endodist they got me back and in a chair. This office has a ton of advanced equipment and the way that they injected me with the lidocaine was pretty neat. Instead of a typical dentist hypodermic they have a hypodermic needle attached to a pump so that they can deliver a very accurate dose of the lidocaine without have to use multiple needles. The root canal was pretty uneventful. I had my iPhone with me so I put on headphones and lay there listening to music. I closed my eyes and just didn’t even think about it too much. The endodist had to ask me several times if I was ok because I lay there pretty much motionless. I was in the chair for about 1.5 hours and everything went well. However what he found inside my tooth wasn’t good. The original root canal had been done poorly and there was one root of my tooth that was missed. Additionally, on one of the roots that had been done, there was a puncture in the bottom of the canal that went into my jaw. There is a good possibility that this puncture is what lead to the horrible situation I found myself in during March. An infection was in the process of starting up in the tooth again - which explained the pain and swelling I had been experiencing. As a result of that I am back on the really nasty antibiotics again - yuck! After the root canal was done I got home and got to work. During my lunch hour I ran out and picked up Bailey’s birthday cake at Pet Outfitters. As soon as I got home I couldn’t resist, I got out a knife and carved a tiny piece off the side. I was pretty surprised that it tasted as good as it did. Though it was birthday cake for a dog it was made from oatmeal and carrot cake. I was really surprised how good it tasted! Zack had his weekly psychologist appointment today after school as is normal. What was not normal about today’s session was this was potentially his last session for a very long time. We don’t even have any more sessions scheduled. The plan with Dr. Jane is for Zack to have one or two appointment over the course of the summer and then for us to reevaluate his need for psychologist appointments at the beginning of the year. This is huge! Zack has progressed to the point that he may no longer need to see a psychologist. I really can’t tell you how happy that makes me. Bailey’s b-day celebration was scheduled for around 5:00PM this evening. That was when Tim was going to bring his “cousin” puppies over to our house. They arrived shortly after 5:00PM and the fun and chaos began.

(Bailey's puppy birthday cake!)

First the pups got the birthday cake. Instead of just putting it down on the floor I cut the 9 inch cake into four pieces and put them in dog bowls. Bailey and Ray (my brother’s oldest and biggest dog) both decided that they would eat the cake in one bite. They tried as hard as they could to get the chunk of cake down in one gulp. It was hilarious to watch! Lex and Lulu (my brother’s other dog) were much more dignified in their approach to eating the cake. They managed to take bites and mouthfuls and in general ate in a much nicer way. Once the cake was complete, the main event began. I had purchased a bunch of plush dog toys. I took all the toys into the living room and just threw them on the middle of the floor. You can imagine the chaos that took place at that point. It was just so much fun to watch. All the dogs were going after these toys and they beat the crap out of each other as they went after them. Even birthday boy Bay got involved in the middle of things. I was very happy to see him playing and acting like a puppy. The pups played for the better part of an hour. Well all was said and done, Bailey curled up in a ball right under my feet at the kitchen table. A little while later I was sitting on the couch and Lex jumped up with me and put his head on my legs. It was very cute. Though Bailey really didn’t know it was his birthday, I am sure all of the dogs had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the cake and the toys. During the little party I shot a bunch of video. I don’t have time to upload it to Youtube tonight, but I will do so tomorrow and post a link here. It is actually quite funny to watch those crazy nut job dogs. Hope everyone has had a great Friday. Enjoy the weekend! Thanks and peace to all – J.

No comments: